Sunday, May 31, 2020

Idea for a miniature doormat


Do you have a problem with tiny feet tracking dirt and mud onto your clean dollhouse floors? I'm not talking about the cat.....that's a small attempt at humor. OK, a very small attempt.

The last time I bought non slip matting to put under my real size runners and area rugs, I was immediately reminded of a rubber welcome mat.

I've seen it in white and brown. Maybe it's available in black somewhere, but I haven't seen them.
So to turn it into a doormat, I had to cut a piece and paint it.
I used black acrylic craft paint to do it, painting one side and letting it dry, then flipping it over to paint the other side. When that was dry I painted any little white bits that were left. One word, though, if you bend the mat, the black paint might crack or flake off.
This does make a great looking rubber doormat at a cost of 0 money, as long as you happen to have some of the matting around the house. I've also recently seen small squares of the same non slip product being sold in bundles, to put under the corners of rugs, for as little as 99 cents, and also as a roll of shelf matting for kitchen cabinets. The shelf matting came in white or brown. It was also very inexpensive.
Since first publishing this tip, I've heard from several people that they've seen the matting sold in black. Too bad I haven't seen black ones in my area.

No comments:

Post a Comment