Sunday, May 31, 2020

European Cottage Kitchen shadow box


When I was a girl my mother had a little wooden kitchen shadowbox. I loved that thing. She was forever telling me to be careful with it, because the glue was old and the little bowls, etc. were falling off the shelves. Eventually she put it away, as there were 3 more kids after me. After mama died my sister found it and sent it to me.
It needed some restoration work, I'd found evidence that it was probably made in the late 1940's, and I wrote about it here:  Mom's vintage shadowbox


Some years ago I was trying to think of something to give my mother for Christmas and I remembered that old kitchen. My mother was born in an old log house in Lithuania and I thought it would be nice to try and make a new roombox. At that time it was almost impossible to find pictures of old Lithuanian cottage kitchens, but I managed to find enough information to get me started. I figured I couldn't be totally accurate, so I went for a colorful folk art look, and here's what I made.

The kitchen was meant to be reminiscent of old Lithuanian cottage kitchens, in traditional log homes. Whether or not it's a good representation, I'm not truly sure. I did as much research as I could, and my mother said it reminded her of home, so it must be close enough.


The stove is the kind that was used throughout much of Europe, and I've seen several versions of it in Lithuanian cottage photos that I've found since then. 
The hutch is similar to those now sold in Michael's craft stores.
My mother loved to garden, so there are some flower pots on the top of the hutch.
The basket holds a bunch on tiny silk roses, since mama liked flowers. I filled the other half with a couple kinds of potatoes and carrots, made from Sculpey. I touched them up with paint to color them.
Here are the shelves, with painted on cloths. I also made some red apples for the bowl, and painted some woodenware. The finished miniatures I bought all came from Just Miniature Scale, a dollhouse shop in Greensburg, PA where we lived at the time.




On the table are preparations for a farmer's dinner, some bread, cheese, eggs ready to go into a pan, and dough rising for tomorrow's bread. The bread, dough, cheese and eggs in the blue bowl are all made from Sculpey.

Finally, here's the roof. These old cottages traditionally had thatched roofs, so I simulated one with drywall compound, aka: spackle or plaster. It's pretty rough looking, but it was just meant to give the suggestion of thatch. I think I used a whisk broom to mark up the plaster, then I painted it.

.



No comments:

Post a Comment