Friday, August 6, 2021

Retro Style Kitchen Room Box

Here's a retro style kitchen, no particular decade, it could fit any time from the 1930s onward, depending on the homeowner's taste and budget.

To be truthful, it's not QUITE done. I meant to add lights, but I couldn't come up with anything that I really liked, so if someday the right idea comes to me I can add some.

When I was finished adding accessories I felt it needed a little added something, so I painted an old Monopoly playing piece, the race car, and added it. 
I wanted the towels on the table towel rods drape more naturally, so I dipped them in diluted white glue, squeezed and patted out the excess liquid, then arranged them in place. 
To get the "used" look, I stuck a couple of straight pins through the faric to keep it all in place till dry.


I was going to use a Reutter sink cabinet, but decided I wanted a window over the sink, so I made a cabinet to support the porcelain sink. The cherries waste can looked too small on the floor, but I loved it, so it's serving as a kitchen scraps can. To make a scrub brush, just shape a snip of stripwood and glue a snip of velcro to it. 
When I was making the faux window, I cut out the molding for the window frame, then realized that the only piece of acrylic I had was too thick to use. I couldn't believe I had no clear plastic pieces I could use anywhere in the house. After rummaging through all the drawers I found a piece of self stick laminate I'd put away 20 years ago figuring it might come in handy some day. It did.
I made this kitchen cabinet. I had a devil of a time making the upper cabinet door to come out right, so I decided to make a pair of doors in one piece, glue the accessories onto the shelves, then glue the door onto the front of the cabinet. The other doors and the drawer don't open either.



I also made this green Hoosier style cabinet. The doors and drawers don't open, because I feel the look is more important than being able to open the drawers or lower the pull-down door or slide-out work table.

The hinges are just tiny pieces of steel wire.




I ran into a problem with the stove, turned out one of the rings for the gas burners was missing. I'll have to get some lock washers the next time I go to the hardware store. Since I wanted the stove to be an old fashioned gas one, not a woodburner, I needed levers instead of round knobs, so I cut four 1:12 spoons, and they wound up looking well enough to me. 

This is what Town Square's Pennsylvania Dutch stove looked like before I altered it. Mine was missing the faucet on the side for the boiler. I painted the white hinges black, and painted sections of the brass handles white. I felt it made the stove look much less toy-like. 

Just remembered that I should show what I mean by lock washers. They're the things that look like gas burners on the stove. I just painted 4 black circles, then glued on the painted lock washers into place. This was one of the first pieces of furniture I ever made, and I wrote a tutorial for it



2 comments:

  1. Your kitchen is an absolute delight. Thanks for the lock washer idea. I have used earrings that look like the coiled burners for electric stoves in the past. Your stove remodel is a great improvement too.

    ReplyDelete