Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Remodeling a Duracraft Heritage Dollhouse - part 4 The Bathroom

 Below is a photo of the original setup in the addition I built years ago.

And this is what that wing looks like now.

If you've read my previous posts, you'll recall I ripped out the staircase and decided to replace it with a hidden staircase (that doesn't really exist). You can see the area where it would be next to the bathroom, and if I had felt like redoing the wall of the Heritage, I could have actually built a new, up-down, turnaround staircase, but, I didn't want to tear apart the house to change the wall. That empty area next to the bathroom will be hidden when I finish extending the roof.

A better picture of the bathroom.
The door doesn't open, after all, why?  I still have to make a replacement window, but as I said before, I think it'll be easier to redo all the windows at once. The ceiling panel is just sitting there on top of the walls for now. I think I'll have to add some trim molding along the edges in the end.
I used a sheet from a wallpaper book for the wallpaper. Although I hate doing wallpaper I do like the way it turned out. As a rule I prefer to paint, but in these circumstances I decided it would be too much of a challenge to get the right hand wall smooth enough to paint. I'm a scratch builder, and as a rule I make my walls painted and ready before gluing them into place. Cutting these pieces of wallpaper was a pain, though, since the angles were in several cases, just a little off kilter. The window wall panel was cut just right twice before I realized it was just a bit off. To make sure that the third cut was right in the end, I painted along the annoying back corner of the wall with some paint that matched the paper. That way if one tiny area wound up uncovered, it wouldn't be visible.


I used my daughter's old bathroom fixtures to show the size of the room.
For the floor, I used another sheet of subway tile, with white grout lines instead of black. I knew I'd never use it for another project, and I think it came out looking pretty nice.

Next I must tackle the main section of the house.


No comments:

Post a Comment