Friday, January 28, 2022

Remodeling a Duracraft Heritage Dollhouse - part 2

 So far I've removed most of the windows. One set of bay windows and the door still to be taken out. The bay windows are very stubborn and hold on for dear life.

I've also removed the wallpaper in the attic. Since the ceiling in there is only about 5" high, I decided to make the space over as an attic, showing the underside of roof shingles, strapping and rafters. There's a poky little alcove up there that's painted white. Rather than trying to deal with getting a brush in there and painting it to match the rest of the attic, I think I may just close it off. I drew lines across the space to try and illustrate the concept.

Work is progressing a bit in the kitchen. Behind the blocked in area is where the staircase is..... or would be if I were building an actual staircase.

You can see the 2 steps heading down onto the kitchen from the hidden landing. I haven't made up my mind if I want an enclosed handrail, a spindled handrail, or no handrail at all.

I had a sheet of classic blue tile which I decided to use for the kitchen floor. I gave the ceiling a fresh coat of white paint, but I'll need to get out a hand mirror to see if I completely covered it or not. I can't turn the house sideways or anything, and must manage as best as I can. 

Where you see the plywood wall facing front is where the pantry shelves will go. These walls are just popped into place for now, as I hadn't noticed that one panel was slightly warped till after I'd cut it. That means I need to recut the other panel too. Drat.....

I've been thinking about the kitchen walls, and maybe doing tile at least half way up. I'm leaning towards the tile sheet in the foreground. I's a sort of sand color. I'm not wild about how it looks in this photo, in real life they go pretty nicely together. My other tile options are 2 sets of white subway tiles, one with white grout, the other with dark. On the other hand, I might change my mind if something else pops to mind.

I've also pulled up most of the floorboards. They're made of very thin wood, like veneer, and the instructions said to glue them down, then build the exterior walls on top of them. I recall I was dubious of the sense of this, but I did as instructed. Sometimes I was able to pull the parts out from under the walls, but  other times it was a struggle, and I felt the walls move. Yikes!
BTW, I used a hot iron to soften the glue, then inserted a thin palette knife, followed by a stronger putty knife to yank those suckers up off the subfloor.


No comments:

Post a Comment