Monday, November 15, 2021

An early 19th century room box

 When I decided to sell my 18th century Pennsylvania stone house, I kept all the furnishings so I could put them in a new room box, and here it is.

                                                             I love mood shots, don't you?

Here's the room fully lit.


Actually, as I post this, the exterior of the box is not fully complete. I need to add some trim molding to the exterior, and get a piece of glass for the front, but I really wanted to see finished interior, because I finally found a small enough LED tap light with a remote to fit between the beams.


And here's the light.
It's 1" high, but by taking off the plastic lens I was able to make it short enough to tuck into place.
I'm still looking for something smaller.
By the way, The ceiling timbers are cut from a piece of builders foam. Previously I've used either wood or styrofoam, but builders foam came out looking best, I think.


I wanted to build the room out of 1/4" Baltic birch plywood, but all I could find was 3/16", which I don't like as well. I bought 2 panels, so I'll be building myself another room box in the future.
I used styrofoam to built up the back wall with the window  and the fireplace. 
I also used miniature clay bricks, which I then tinted with color wash to give them a little more character.
The candle box on the wall is annoying me. It looked just right till I saw it in the photo, now it looks too big. I can't remember if I glued it to the wall or just tacked it with glue dots. Maybe I'll make a smaller one.

TIP
When you're not sure if your miniature room looks quite right, take a photo, or look at it in a mirror. If something's wrong, you'll usually spot it. For instance, I didn't notice the dust on the work table in the foreground till I saw it in the photo.


My Windsor bench was missing a slat on the back, so I used a scrap of fabric that looked like a colorful quilt to cover it up.
To make a cloth drape over the side of a table, soak it in a mixture of glue and water, put it into place and let it dry. I let mine dry over a piece of foil so as to not damage the tabletop.
The items in the laundry basket were also shaped using a glue and water mixture. I soaked them, shaped them in place and let dry.

The hanging cauldron is actually the wooden cap from a bottle of Cholula hot sauce. I drilled 2 holes through the cap, ran a piece of steel wire for the handle, then painted it black. After spraying it with Krylon Matte Finish, I rubbed a little chalk dust on it.
The twig broom leaning against the bricks is made from a toothpick and some rusted wire I had left from an old decorating project. I dabbed some gray paint on the bottoms of the wires to simulate ash.





No comments:

Post a Comment